Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Square

For a while now, I’ve wanted to scratch build a locomotive from plasticard. I was thinking of making a simple freelance tank engine at first, but I decided to dive in and have a go at making the Earl Of Merioneth or ‘The Square’, nicknamed after it received it’s ‘modern’ tanks in the 1970s. I think it’s a good engine to start off with and to have for two main reasons;
1) As its nickname suggests, it’s square! There are no radiuses on the tops of the tanks, much simpler for a beginner.
2) I’m going to need one sooner to later; as it’s one of the most used locomotives on the railway. So I might as well have a go at it.
3) I only know of one other model of the ‘Earl’ with its ‘70s tanks. I think it would keep some people interested.
The photo's where taken on my phone, that's why they are a bit blured.


Picture 1- Most of the components that will be used to make the engine.
Picture 2- The plasticard carrier frames compared to the Langley whitemetal frame.
Picture 3- Progress as of 22.00 on 20-03-2012

I got some measurements of the tanks by measuring the prototype engine a few weeks ago, and after a few minutes with a paper and pencil, made some 009 drawings for the tanks and cab.
I had previously bought a incomplete un-built Langley Fairlie kit off Ebay, and I was planning on modifying the body, but it turns out that it would be much simpler to just build an entire body from scratch. The only parts I will be using is the chassis, a modified Bachmann GP50, and I will possibly be using the ‘Ashpan’ which secures the body to chassis and other white metal castings such as the chimneys and toolboxes. The nameplates from the kit will also be used.
The ‘Boiler’ will be made from a piece of mild steel round bar; turned to the correct diameter, and then milled for the chassis to fit underneath. I’m planning on painting it Gloss Black, the colour that the Ffestiniog Paint new/overhauled engines whilst they are being ‘Run in’, but the colour is the last job on the list for now.
I am also thinking of building a Fair-ratt, which is a possible engine that the WHR will build out of the remains of 140 and other NGG16s. There are no definite plans yet, but they are a very curious and strange engine, which is the sort of thing I like. But, for all of you readers what is a ‘Fair-rrat’? Post your answers in the comments box underneath.

1 comment: