Saturday, April 16, 2011

More wires than the Thunderbirds!

Today, I’ve spent all day working on the Harbour Station Boards. Firstly I secured the 9mm plywood, which the tracks will be sat on, to the frame. I then made the section which will become a bridge, undecided on what type yet, it could be either a Britannia Bridge, with no roadway, or similar to the road bridge close to Tan y Bwlch on the Porthmadog end. As the track will be entering the cob closer to the rear of the layout, it will have to be modified in due time.
By this time, it was about noon, so I mounted two point motors (all the other I had done previously) and wired them in. Whilst I had the soldering iron hot, I thought I could make a start at wiring the board. I connected up the 5 point motors, 5 uncouplers, 5 point indicators, and ran wires ready to carry power to the Harbour Station entrance board. I stopped (7 hours later) when I almost finished the board.


Hopefully, when some points arrive from Hattons I can start wiring up the Harbour Station Entrance Board.


To connect each board to the next, I am using these neat little terminal block-like things. This should save time when setting up at exhibitions. Athough very handy, they are expensive, £4 for 1 (with 12 terminals) they should be great for connecting up the boards to each other, but too expensive to connect up the control panel to the layout.


Tomorrow, I need to screw the ‘other end’ of each wire to a terminal block and label them (somehow!), buy some more of the self adhesive cable tidy clips and buy some copper tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment