Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Construction on 'Boston Lodge' board

Today I started the construction on the Boston Lodge Board. I laid down the track on top of ¾ inch polystyrene. I didn’t lay it accurately, only roughly to what the layout was going to be, and then I made a mark around the track and cut the polystyrene to shape, then cut it. I then put glue down on the baseboard and glued the polystyrene in place. I then pined (with dressmaker’s pins) the track down temporarily. In the picture below the red lines indicate the position of groves I need to cut to make rods for the points, these will end up on the back of the layout where the plan is in the future (when I have enough money) to link then to point motors. I have never motorized points this way before, so it should be interesting (although I have seen it been used in the Tremadog Model Railway Club’s old layout (without the point motors) [which was removed due to the building they met at being unsafe!])

Due to the ‘middle’ polystyrene board being slightly lower then the other two, I’ll need to raise it a bit (possibly using a cork tile) to stop trains going up and down unrealistic gradients.I’ve also tried (for the first time) to solder track together, (at the bottom of the picture) the Y point, right hand point and a straight (on the other side of the Y). I think it has gone ok, I tested it with Linda’s tender and it didn’t derail. :D

Here's the baisic idea. (will publish a post with a bit more detail)

Carriage shelter (nearest line) and a P.W stock/loco shelter (line which loco is on)

Locomotive Shed (i will place longer pieces of track instead of thease two)

Locomotive 'preporation' area with water tower and coal stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment