Friday, May 21, 2010

Double Fairlie (Taliesin)

A few days ago the Double Fairlie off eBay arrived, the body was complete but two shafts where missing, luckily these weren’t very hard to make, a simple piece of brass tube, with a small length running square to it at either end, works like a charm! But, I then tried to fit the rods.... I knew something needed to go wrong! Luckily the rods are still intact in the fret, but I couldn't say the same about the bogies. The cylinders where already attached, and one was on the wrong way, so I started to take a screw out... it snapped, didn't matter I had a spare, but then I realised that if I attempted to put it back on, a part on the bogie will snap. So I din some looking on the internet and I found a shop that sells replacement parts for the Bachmann GP50, $1 for shafts $3 for a bogie and about $4 for a motor... might replace the lot! ($9 isn't too bad compared to a good £30 for a new chassis!) So, I’ll be buying some new bits and pieces, I want the Fairlie (soon to be named Taliesin) to be very reliable and smooth running (the mainstay of the fleet) Pictures will follow shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment