Sunday, May 2, 2010

Porthmadog Narrow Gauge Exhibition Report

The exhibition was great, there where plenty of superb layouts and locomotives being shown and sold. I've only added some details of the best (in my opinion) Layouts.
Layouts...
In my opinion three layouts where at equal first, which is Kingston Regis (009)0 by John and Jane Jacobs, Port Penrhyn (009) by Peter Midwinter and Cothele by the Hull MRS. I've included some pictures to show the quality of the layouts.
The only problem I had was a father with a 'it will go in if I slam the door hard enough' attitude that broke the three pieces of track that went from the scenic sections to the back, thus I couldn't use the back. But fortunately I found a length of n gauge track to repair one length of track. Also I bought a few things, firstly was a POLYPEN (suggested by a operator from Hull MRS) which does wonders cleaning wheels and track, also I bought two books, first 'Ffestiniog Odyssey' by Nick Welch and 'Creative Scenic Modeling By Peter Parkinson, which happens to live a few streets away from me, is a scenic guru and gave me his email :D Also a few carriages, three goods wagons and four locomotives found their way into my collection (for only £10!!!!)
Whilst operating I found a flaw in my layout, at the back there’s just too much track! So, I’m thinking of removing the fiddle yard, and replacing the two end boards with traversers or small fiddle yards. Also I found that the control board was too large (compared to others! that where as little as 3 inches by 4!!) Not sure yet... might replace that too.






No comments:

Post a Comment